Please be prepared to be in the sleep center for 12 to 14 hours from your scheduled arrival time. If you cannot keep this appointment or if you are sick the day of testing, please notify us as soon as possible of your cancellation.
What to bring
- Bring comfortable loose fitting clothing
- Favorite pillow
- Food and beverages, if you are here during meal times or if medication requires you to eat. A soft drink machine, refrigerator and microwave are available.
- Reading materials
- Shampoo and soap for showering
- Any other necessary items for your overnight stay
- Bring parking or valet ticket to the office for validation (Chase Park Plaza garage only)
What not to bring
- TVs, radios or alarm clocks (TVs and VCRs are available in each room)
- Cell phones must be turned off during the testing
How to prepare on the day of your study
- Wash your hair and face
- Do NOT use hair or face conditioners or moisturizers, especially oil-based products. These products interfere with the application of electrodes.
- Avoid use of caffeine from noon till your arrival at the sleep center on the day of your study, including cola drinks, coffee, tea and chocolate, etc. Some analgesic medicines such as Excedrin and Anacin contain high amounts of caffeine. If you have questions about what you can have, ask the technician.
During the study
The study involves the application of a series of electrodes to your scalp, face, legs and sides. The electrodes will be taped on your skin and temporarily glued or pasted to your scalp. Although this procedure will at no time cause any pain, in rare instances, you may feel some slight skin irritation.
After hours entry into the Center 40 building
The Center 40 Building is locked between the hours of 6:00 p.m. and 7:00 a.m., Monday–Friday and all day Sunday. During these hours, entry into the building will be done through an intercom system. Intercoms are located at each entrance of the building and are clearly marked “Sleep Center & Neurology Patients.” Press the call button and a member of our Sleep Center team will buzz you into the building. Take the elevator to the 6th floor, suite 600.